Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hello from the Random Librarian!

OK, the truth now. What do new acquaintances say when you tell them you are a librarian? Do they revert to stereotypes such as "Uh oh! I better return my books, ho ho ho"? Do they tell you you don't look like a librarian? Do they start singing "Mar....rian!"

I've been in this field for 20 years, but I have to admit that we often DO live up (or down) to our stereotypes. As much as I try not to, when I go to the ALA Annual Conferences I generally wind up squatting in an unladylike manner on the exhibits floor, stuffing those advance reading copies into a bulging tote bag or backback. I hoard the ever-more-scarce invitations to vendors' receptions for free food. When I see a line in the exhibits, I head toward the end to wait for I know-not-what.

So, why do we do these things? Is it our innate nature that drew us to this profession?

Here's an oldie but goodie that may provide clues: March of the Librarians!

No comments: